Sunday, 23 March 2014

Montessori Inspired Shape Activity

I want to share with you a simple, hands-on shape activity that I have done with my daughters, who are 3years and 4years old. I will also share my printable Montessori inspired three-part cards that we used with the activity. 


When it comes to my children's learning, I like to take the approach of "follow the child" as I believe that a child will be engaged and learn more when they are interested in what they are learning. With this shape activity, it started with my daughters being interested in this small wooden shape puzzle.


I could see them taking the pieces out of the puzzle and putting them back in again. So I took this interest and extended it by making three-part cards and presenting it to them.
 

For my youngest daughter (2years old), I gave her the first set of cards so the activity was more at her level and so she wouldn't get confused with so many cards. She spread the cards out and easily matched up the shapes to the cards. By her doing this, I was able to see how much she already knew about shapes (eg. shape names).  


For my older daughter (4years old) I gave her the whole set of three-part cards and she worked hard at matching the cards and shapes together. 


I love this hands-on approach to learning as my daughters are learning pre-reading skills, develop their problem solving skills and directing their learning through play.
 

You can now download get a copy of my Montessori Shape Cards. If you would like to see more Shape activity ideas, visit my pinterest board.

10 comments:

  1. loads of fun and learning... my smallest loves puzzles and is shape crazy right now so he will love doing this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Kate. Hope your son has as much fun as my girls have had with these cards!

      Delete
  2. I love that there are a few tricky shapes in there to challenge the pre schoolers. This would be great for a busy bag - pinning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are a few tricky shapes but surprising my eldest daughter (4yrs) has picked them up very quickly!! Its amazing how children learn.

      Delete
  3. Another Kate commenting here - LOL
    This is a fabulous post and I really love that you give us the printables. I will absolutely use these in the next few months when I look more at shapes with my little girl. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow!! I am feeling the "Kate" love! LOL Thanks for your comment and hope you can use my printables.

      Delete
  4. These are great. You could use these for all sorts of things - like going on a shape hunt around the house. And because they are laminated, your daughters can try tracing to practice their pre-writing skills too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks you Danya for the extra ideas!! A shape hunt sounds like fantastic....we might just do that tomorrow :)

      Delete
  5. It's great that you've been able to create resources that are versatile, and can be adapted for kids of different ages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've just started geometry with my class and will check out the ideas you have pinned! Thanks for sharing. Found you at Manic Monday! :)

    ~Erin
    Mrs. Beattie's Classroom

    ReplyDelete