Monday, 7 April 2014

Initial 'd' Sound Activities - Printable Cards

After sharing my printable initial 'c' cards, I am back sharing the Montessori inspired printable letter 'd' cards I made (using free Classroom Clipart). I will also show and explain some of the ways that my daughters have used these cards to develop their vocabulary, speech (sounds), independence and confidence as learners.
I started with collecting all the items that begin with the initial letter 'd' sound that my girls play with frequently. They love playing with their dolls, dolphin, dog, dinosaurs and other little figurines that they  used to make imaginary stories with. Previously I had gone on a hunt with my girls to find these items but they had been unwell. I put the basket with all the items and the cards on their learning shelf.
As I am still learning about the montessori approach to learning, I found a blog post by Montessori Life As We Know It very helpful as it gives an outline of how to introduce Matching and the Three Period Lesson.  So I put some of these ideas and suggestions into practice.

My youngest daughter (2yrs old) already has an extensive vocabulary and is very articulated so she could identify each object by its name. If she was unable to identify the object , I would place it in front of her and say its name, such as dinosaur. I would then get her to say the name back to me while pointing to the object in front of her, just as it is suggest on Montessori Life As We Know It

We then used the control cards, selecting four at a time, for my daughter (2yrs old) to match the object to the picture. This is such a fun and hands-on way for young learners to expand their vocabulary and confidence while building pre-reading skills.
For my older daughter (4yrs old), she likes to work independently,  she started with spreading the control cards out carefully in neat rows (this is her personality showing here). Each time she put down a control card, she would say (sometimes sing) the name of the object on the card. Although her vocabulary is well and truly flourishing, this was a great opportunity for her to practice sounds in her speech.  
Because of her ability in comprehending the activity, my daughter (4yrs) was able to work with all the control cards (fourteen altogether) at the same time matching the objects to the cards. This, however, would have been too much for my youngest daughter.
At four years of age, my daughter is able to make the connection between the concrete learning or the objects, with the abstract learning or the card matching. 

On a different day, I introduced my daughter to all three parts of the cards selecting just four cards at a time for her to work with. She first placed down the control card and underneath it she was able to match up the picture cards all the while reading the cards (using the picture). She then independently matched up the word cards. In doing this, she was in control of her learning (she could correct herself if she made a mistake) and this gave her independence and confidence in her own ability as a learner.
Following on from matching the three part cards, I selected matching letters and three control cards that had simple words on them. I encouraged my daughter to look at the words on the cards and read what it said (by using the picture). I then encouraged her to use the letters to make/build each word. This way she was seeing how single letters (and sounds) are put together with other letters to make a word. 
I have thought about extending this word making activity to encouraging my daughter to write the words down on paper but I am not sure she is ready for this. I am waiting for her to make the connection and lead her learning.

If you would like a copy of my initial 'd' sound cards, you can download them from here. You can also find my initial 'e' sound cards from here. If you would like to see more activities on Alphabet learning and montessori learning ideas then visit my pinterest boards.



This blog post has been linked up with:
http://teachbesideme.com/share-saturday-5/ http://www.icanteachmychild.com/2014/04/show-share-saturday-link-32/ Classroom Freebies Manic Monday Montessori Monday Reading Confetti

2 comments:

  1. THIS IS A FANTASTIC POST.... YES, I AM YELLING!!! Thankyou so much for sharing your thoughts and learnings and your resources. My family is very grateful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so very welcome Nikki!! Thank you for your lovely comment and it is wonderful to hear that you are finding what I share helpful.

      Delete