Sunday, 8 June 2014

8 Ideas for learning about the Human Body

Over the last few years, my children have been learning about the human body and how it works. Questions such as, "How does the food get into my tummy?" and "Where does vomit come from?" have all lead to discussions about our body and how it works. I want to share with you some of the learning that my children have done about the human body as well as my Montessori inspired printable Human Anatomy cards. 


Home-made Human Body Puzzle
One of the first questions that started our human body learning was "What happens to our food when we swallow it?" At the time, my son was only six years old so I had to keep it simple, hands-on and visual for him to understand. 

We started by cutting out a body shape from cardboard and painting it red. I used some of the printables from the scholastic book, Adorable Wearable that Teach About the Human Body, to "build" our cardboard person and to talk about the different parts of our anatomy. We labelled, coloured and placed these parts onto our cardboard person. This was a great visual and hands-on way to learn. 


I have since found FREE printable Human Body Life-Sized Organs that you can download. The Confessions of a Homeschooler also has Life Size Human Anatomy printables that you could also use for this same activity.  

Human Body Model
My son's interest to learn about the human body did not stop there. A few months after making our cardboard person, which was starting to fall apart, I purchased a human body model. I purchased our human body model from Kmart (for my Aussie readers) but it is also available online at Fishpond, Ebay and the Rainbow Resource Center. It is fantastic as it has removable organs which keeps learning hands-on.


Initially, our human body model was just played with as we talked about the different parts and used it to answer questions that might arise. But then I discovered the Montessori approach to learning so I made my three-part cards to go with this model.


Visual Prompts
I love posters as they are specially helpful to a visual learner and a wonderful way to encourage interest-led learning. This poster (below) is from The Magic School Bus: A Journey into the Human Body kit. It has been a great point of reference for any question related to the human body.


Information Books
There are a wide range of books based on the human body that is available to learners. My son has really enjoyed The Magic School Bus books over and over again as they are great entertaining stories filled with scientific facts and information. There are also different DVDs that are available too.


Human Body Learning Games
Besides books, board games are our other favourite way to learn about topics of interest. Doctor Dreadful Scrubs and Guts board game is not as scary as it looks however, it is FULL of awesome human body information that is funny and just a little gross! For younger children, Body Snap is easier to play but just as fun. You can download a similar game to Body Snap called Human Body Matching Card Game for FREE.


Ultra Sounds and MRI
We recently made DIY light box which has been used to view some of our old ultra sounds and Magnetic Resonance Imagines (MRI) on. This was a great way for my children to see Mummy's insides. My son also used our human body model to identify and match the organs he could see.


Interest Shelf 
Just like I had done with our Solar System Unit I put together an interest shelf. I put together all the resources that I had collected over a few years (like the ones I've shared above) in order to help my son to explore and direct his own learning.


If you would like a copy of my FREE cards, you can download my Montessori Inspired Human Anatomy Cards from here.


If you would like to see more ideas on learning about the human body, you can visit my Human Body Unit pinterest board. 


 

18 comments:

  1. that is great Suz, love the light box idea.. we should do something like that here, i have many xrays we could explore with..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The light box is turning into one of our most used resources at the moment and not just for exploring x-rays!

      Delete
  2. So fabulous!! Will be keeping an eye out at kmart for the human body model! :) Your cards are fabulous - thanks for sharing! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're most welcome and thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  3. Great post, great activities, great printables. You rock!!! Thanks so much! thursdaytook@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your lovely comment and I do hope you enjoy using my printables.

      Delete
  4. I love ALL your materials! And absolutely love your human torso. We have a few here but the organs aren't complete.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The human torso is a lot of fun to learn with. Thank you for your lovely comment.

      Delete
  5. Thanks for sharing your 3 part cards, great resource!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great ideas! I'm following your Pinboard now to keep up with future ideas :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I am glad you found me on pinterest.

      Delete
  7. Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment and for sharing my printables on facebook!

      Delete
  8. Ya Drongo!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. thank you so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi! Is it ok if I donwload and print the anatomy cards for a science fair? I will really appreciate it. Thank you. - Maria P.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi! I teach English in a French middle school. I'm working on Frankenstein with a group of students and you have inspired me to make a life-size monster with human body parts. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete