Thursday, 10 July 2014

Hands-on Learning about Simple Machines

As you may know, my son is a tactile learner in that he learns more effectively when using his hands. Keeping in mind that he also enjoys anything and everything science related, I am always on the look out for resources that support his style of learning as well as his interest. I came across this book, How Machines Work: The Interactive Guide to Simple Machines and Mechanisms by Nick Arnold and Allan Sanders, that I want to share with you as I think it is an incredible resource for a tactile learner like my son.  


Book Information
This book covers a range of information on different machines. It also gives a history time line on the development of machines and how they work. The types of machines that are talked about in this book include; inclined plane, lever, wheel and axle, pulley, gear, rack and pinion, crank, ratchet and cam.


Book Resources
As well as the information in this book, it also comes with its own materials and parts that are needed to construct your own machine. There are 12 models in total that the learner can construct. All the materials are supplied in the book such as the bolts, nuts, washers and string that are needed to make the models work.

 
It also comes with colour and number coded cogs, rods and wheels as well as easy-to-follow instructions for each of the 12 working models. The workshop board is also included in this book as it is used to build the working models on.


Recommended Age
Although the book has no recommended age, my guess would be that a learner as young as five or six years of age could use this book and build the models, together with adult help. My son is eight years old and was able to independently work with these materials, following the instructions and understand the concept of the models. The pieces of the model are simple and can easily be put together by young learners.




You can find Nick Arnold and Allan Sanders book, How Machines Work: The Interactive Guide to Simple Machines and Mechanisms from this affiliated link. If you would like to see more learning ideas and printables, you can visit my pinterest board, Simple Machines


This blog post has been linked up with: 
http://deceptivelyeducational.blogspot.com.au/2014/07/after-school-linky-7-7.htmlReading Confetti

10 comments:

  1. Looks like a great book :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great book. I've added it to my cart. My little machine crazy inventor boy will LOVE it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure he will love it just as much as my son does.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for the blog post. I went to purchase it after seeing your post on fb the other day, but when I went searching I found there were at least three editions and I was stumped! Now I know what to get.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! I am glad I was able to clear it up for you. It really is a fantastic book!

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing more information about this book! I saw it when you posted a picture to Facebook and I immediately had to go looking for it because I know my son would LOVE this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I am glad that this blog post has been helpful and thank you also for joining me on facebook!

      Delete
  5. Hi!!! Thanks for sharing my site on your FB page and leaving a comment. Otherwise, I would have missed this awesome blog of yours! Lapping up all your ideas! Thanks again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're very welcome! I am glad I came across your blog and facebook page.

      Delete