Monday, 25 August 2014

FREE Multiplication Board Games

If you have been following my blog for awhile now, you would know that we do a lot of hands-on learning. You might have read my post about Time Tables: Where to start that talks about what the learner should understand prior to learning about multiplication, such as understanding place value and three digit numbers, skip counting and groups of. I have also talked about Learning Multiplication Outside and have shared some of the fun ways we have done that.


As my son is getting older, I have been looking for more interesting ways that appeal to his interest, in this case board games, to help him learn multiplication. I saw a lot of progress in my son's understanding and recall of doubles after using our Addition Doubles Board Game (FREE printable as well!). This got me thinking about using the same approach to help him to understand and recall his multiplication .

So after looking everywhere for a free multiplication board game, I ended up making my own, which of course, I will share with you.


These games that I have made are simple and easy to follow as the instruction are written on the game board. Because my son knows how to skip count in two's, five's, ten's and three's, he has found those particular board games easy to do. However, he is still learning to skip count in four's and nine's, so these games are a little harder for him. For these games, we use a "cheat sheet" for him to work out his answer. 

Learning multiplication takes time so we are in no rush and we sure won't be practicing our time tables using drills or worksheets either. Learning should be fun and engaging!! So you can download my Multiplication Board Games from here.


If you would like some more learning ideas on multiplication, you can visit my Multiplication and Division pinterest board.


This blog post has been linked up with:
http://deceptivelyeducational.blogspot.com.au/2014/09/after-school-linky-party-9-8.html Montessori Nature Hip Homeschool Moms

12 comments:

  1. You whip up the most beautiful educational things and I thank you for sharing them so freely with others.
    xox Kym Fullerton xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words! I am very happy to share them with everyone as I would like to think that I am helping someone, somewhere with their learning.

      Delete
  2. Where do you get the time to do all this Suz? your kiddies have the best mum :) and thank you for sharing.. i might still them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are free to anyone who can use them so please do!! Thank you for your kind words of encouragement....right back at you xx

      Delete
  3. Thank you for linking up to the Kids Learning Printables Linky Party. You're being featured this week. I just love your multiplication game!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!!! And thank you for featuring my post!!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for sharing. My son is just getting started with multiplication.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for sharing. It's nice to have little games to make the memorization part more fun.
    (Agree you have to start with place value, skip counting, etc.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am happy to share! I agree that it makes learning fun and enjoyable for both teacher and learner!

      Delete
  6. thank you for sharing!! Its a brilliant idea and my daughter and i are going to have so much fun doing this!

    ReplyDelete