Friday, 5 September 2014

30+ Films for learning about Australian History

I have been looking at different ways to help children learn about Australian History. After writing my blog post on Introducing Australian History where I share some of our learning activities and my FREE printable Australian History Timeline cards, I got thinking about different films, movies and documentaries that can assist learners in discovering more about history. So I have researched and complied this list of Australian films and documentaries that are based around different events in Australian history.


To start with, I looked at some TV Mini-series that are based on different events and time in history. Most of the mini series, other than Against The Wind, are all PG rated and deemed appropriate for young learners (12 years and under). These mini series include:


Australian history started with the Indigenous people and the documentary, First Australians is truly a remarkable recount of the impact colonisation had and still does have, on the first Australians. Other films that are about the first Australians that are also worth seeing, depending on the age of your children, include:


Early colonial Australian films that portray the life of the convicts and early settlement, and films that show the changing of Australia include:


Other films that show a more modern Australia (after federation), the growth of Australia and it's people as well as how Australia found it's place in the world, include:


There were many historical characters and events who left their mark on Australian history and shaped it for what it is today. Films based on these characters have been made and they include:


I came across many different films that have portrayed the role that Australian's during war times and many of these films are great for older learners. I found a blog post called Australian War Movies - A List that has listed a great selection of Aussie war movies that is worth checking out. Here are some of the war movies that I have seen and really like:


Although some of these Australian history films are not appropriate for young learners, there are some shows, such as My Place and Investigating National Treasures that are great to introduce young learners to Australian history. YouTube also has plenty of clips about Australian history that can be viewed for free.

If you'd like to see more Australian related learning ideas, you can find these on my Australian History pinterest board.

12 comments:

  1. For a book only option on indigenous agricultural history - see Bruce Pascoe's "Dark Emu Black Seeds".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I haven't heard of the Dark Emu Black Seeds before so I will have to take a look. Thank you for the suggestion.

      Delete
    2. I will check it out too!
      Thank you for the recommendation.

      Delete
  2. "The Dish" great movie. Great to see a movie about Australia's unknown involvement in such a big history making event.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had no idea that Australia was even involved with the first moon landing until I saw this movie! But it is great to see the roll Australian's played in this historical event isn't it!

      Delete
  3. THANK YOU!
    I now have lots of great viewing ahead of me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! I have really enjoyed watching some of these movies with my son and rediscovering Australian history again.

      Delete
  4. This is a great post! Thanks, Suzie.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post! I have a heap of these but great to find a few more to add to my wish list LOL I also have Wild Boys (Mini series about Bushrangers), The Last Outlaw (mini series about Ned Kelly), The Little Convict and Playing Beattie Bow. Just in case you want a few more ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is a fantastic resource, thank you Suzie!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I would add A Waltz Through the Hills (which someone has just uploaded on YouTube finally,) Miracle Down, the TV Mini Series Outback House (available for purchase on ITunes,) The Shiralee and The Harp in the South Mini Series and The First Fleet BTN short film on YouTube. In terms of books, the Our Australian Girl series is terrific, and it also has a boys partner series called Do You Dare?

    ReplyDelete